Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday Evening

Hi all. I wanted to share yesterday's butterfly release service with you. I was joined by 12 of Mark's friends and family at the beautiful service in Cambier Park, Naples, Florida. There were a couple hundred people there for the service. There was beautiful music and readings. The names of many, many victims of cancer were read in remembrance. Then, we all turned and watched as the walls of the butterfly tent were raised and the graceful creatures fluttered around and away. I was fortunate enough to have one land on my arm and, even when I encouraged it to go on, it stayed a while. I will share with each of you the blessing read at the conclusion of the service: May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun
and find your shoulder to light on,
To bring you luck, happiness and riches
Today, tomorrow and beyond.

Following the formal service, my friends and I gathered in a quiet corner and Mark's cousin Steven recited the Jewish mourners' prayer, Kaddish, for us. Mark had asked that be done and this was perfect occasion. I think everyone left with a sense of peace. I know I did. My love to each of you.

5 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Finding peace is always a good thing.I hope that you have a great week,this week.

Sunshine said...

How beautiful!!

Travis Cody said...

That sounds like a wonderful thing.

j said...

I put several cancer awareness links on my sidebar a month or so ago. So many victims to that disease but there are so many survivors too!!

The ceremony sounds wonderful. I am glad you got to have a beautiful experience in memory of Mark.

Hugs Rebecca!

Carol said...

It sounds very beautiful. I'm so glad that you got to have that experience. I thought of you, Mark, and the butterflies while I was on retreat.

Many blessings to you.