Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thursday Afternoon

Well, Rebecca and I met with Avow Hospice today and everything went quite smooth. They seem to be very nice, explained everything and answered all questions. I will see the Doctor Monday to OK hospice. To be honest, I knew the chemo wasn't working anymore and now it comes down to quality of life. I have two choices: The chemo makes me so very sick, but in the long run will extend my life an extra couple of months. OR: Stop chemo and get back to living, eating and loving my wife with the remaining time I have left. Hospice promised I will never know pain. There is a line from the movie Shawshank Redemtion: "Get busy living or get busy dying." I choose living. It won't be easy and to be honest, I'm scared to death (no joke intended) but it seems to me to be the best way to finish my life.
To all my friends, I hope you understand my decision and I wait to hear from you all. Your opinions are important to me.
Another saying: "when the wind shifts, it is time to head to port."
The wind has shifted.
May Peace and Love be with you all!
Mark

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, I don't think we ever know for sure that what we do is right.

But I think that you and Rebecca will decide to do what's best.

I'll help any way that I can.

Carol said...

Hi Mark,

We don't really know each other very well yet ;-) so I don't feel comfortable saying much except

1) Here I am - because your candidness and honesty are such signs of strength. And they're contagious.

2)Trust your gut.

Peace to you this summer evening.

j said...

Bless your heart Mark. You are making decisions that I hope that I NEVER have to make. You are in my prayers. I support you and Rebecca 100 percent. You know what is best for you.

I was talking about you today. I told my husband your story and how I came across you when you commented on someone's SkyWatch Friday. I clicked over from that comment. Next thing I know, my heart is just FULL for you and your wife. I am a believer, and I believe that God led me here. That I am to pray for you and your family. You have come to mean alot to me and I wish you only the best. You remind me daily NOT to take even the simplest of things for granted. Life is far too precious. And your life is precious to me. I pray that every day will be filled with blessings!

Your friend,

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I think you are a courageous man, and Rebecca is a courageous woman.

Peace.

j said...

Left you something to look at on my SkyWatch post today! On the Dust Bunny Hostage site.

Have a nice Weekend Mark.

Jen

JC said...

Good morning Mark, I just came by to tell you to check our Dust Bunnies for some great SWF pics from Jennifer but I see she has already been by.

I know that I am clueless as to what I would do in your situation but I believe bring Hospice in is a wise decision.

I've known of so many people who have died suddenly that I decided a few years back (when I turned 50) to live everyday like it is my last. I strive to treat others as I want to be treated. It doesn't always come back but most of the time it does.

Glad I've met you. You inspire me.
Hope you have a restful, joyful, and peaceful weekend. JC

Anonymous said...

You have to do what is best for you now Mark. Peace be with you and always remember that my prayers are with you and Rebecca.

Marie

Travis Cody said...

I think quality of life is equally as important as treatment. Choosing quality of life doesn't mean you've given up...it just means you want to enjoy your life. And everyone should get to enjoy a bit of living.

Best wishes to you.