Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesday Afternoon

Today has been a hard day. I broke the news to my Mother that my Cancer is terminal. Like all mothers, she refuse to accept that. I could here the quiver in her voice. It broke my heart. My Dad, who is in bad shape is 93. We decided not to tell him. He's happy right now watching his beloved Mets and Yankees. There is nothing he could do to change anything, so I say let him be.
Mom wanted to fly down ASAP to Naples, Florida to see me and I talked her out of it. Too hot and muggy. We decided that she will come in September, when it's cooler.
I have made some new friends! JC, Jennifer and Travis. Thanks for your sound advice. I see Hospice as a way of releaving some pressure off of my wife Rebecca. Thanks for being so straight forward and honest. It means a lot to me.
To Craig and Nancy, my backbone since day one of this ordeal, thanks for always being there for us.
Well, it is thundering and lighting outside right now, so I better shut down.
Peace be with you all and much Love from me to you!
Mark

10 comments:

Travis Cody said...

That must have been such a tough call for you and your mom. She sounds like she's trying to be positive for you, or maybe she's got a little bit of denial. That's ok though...she needs to adjust as I'm sure you know.

I can't imagine how tough it is for you to try and be positive. I think it was a bit easier for me because my treatment never made me sick, and I could focus on what was next and hang on the strong prognosis for recovery.

Try to find any small thing you can, like the Hospice or your mom's visit coming up.

Take care.

Mike Golch said...

Mark,I saw your remark you left for Liz, So I thought that I'd come and pay you a visit.
I'm glad I did.I believe that we all have to find our own paths.This being said.I will add you to my prayers.
I have some SEA time my self,but it was in Tialand. After I got out of the Air Force in 1974 I faced a health crisis,not as sever as yours.
I had Fluid on the hearth the gave me a 20/80 chance of survival,the 20 was for me.
No parent wants to out live their child.no matter how old they are.
as Travis said try to find anything to help you stay strong.

j said...

*huge smile*

Mike found you! He is one of my favorite bloggers!

Mark, this must have been very hard for your mother. I agree with Travis. Look forward to that visit with her and it will keep your spirits up.

Your love and respect for Rebecca comes through loud and clear in your writing. That blesses my heart!

I hope that tomorrow is a good day for you.

Jen

Mike Golch said...

Mark.I added a request for prayers for you on my site and asked that peopls come and visit you to help you keep your spirits up.

Peace be with you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

I know all about not telling a parent. It's incredibly difficult to do. I understand completely, though.

Never give up!

Unknown said...

Mark, Mike Golch led me to you. I have added you and yours to my daily prayer list and I will link from my blog to you.

Peace, my friend. And many hugs.

Craig Windt said...

Good morning, Mark!

Even though I'm busy here at Yale, I'm still thinking of you and Rebecca. It looks like you're making many friends from the blog world. That's great! I'm sure the support is priceless.

JC said...

Mark, It is a pleasure to know you. I see some familar names on your comment list. Mike and Jen are too of my favorites. I'm adding your mom and dad to my prayers. I know it was difficult to tell your mom but I also know it had to be devasting for her to hear. Be strong and look forward to her visit in September. JC

Anonymous said...

Damn, Mark, you're a celebrity! At least I get to say "I knew him when..."

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

Mark, I came over on a suggestion from Mike.

Things sound really tough for you - I am very sorry.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care,
Tamara