Wednesday, August 27, 2008


This is Harry. Harry has been a part of our family for seven years now. He is, as best we can tell, about nine years old. Before he came to us, Harry had been starved and physically abused. The day we brought him home, he ate a mountain of food and he really hasn't stopped since then. He is the most loving creature. He isn't always the brightest bulb in the pack - he has gone missing three times over the years. We think that he gets out of sight of the house and just really isn't sure how to find "home." He always seems to walk in a straight line until he runs into somebody who rescues him and brings him back. He has angels that circle around him and protect him. Four years ago, he was diagnosed with epilipsy and since Christmas, 2005, he has been seizure-free because of wonderful vets. He takes medications twice a day which, oddly enough, increase his appetite. Last August, Harry became very, very sick. He was diagnosed with lymphoma, a form of cancer that attacks the lymph nodes and and his tumor, when finally discovered hidding in his spleen, weighed 10.7 pounds. It was the largest tumor the vet had ever seen. He said it was a miracle Harry had survived such a cancerous attack. He told us that the cancer would reappear, but that he couldn't predict how quickly.
Last night, I discovered "the" tumor. It has formed in the lymph nodes on his neck and in his cheek. It has grown very, very rapidly. The vet told us this morning that it is inoperable. He told us to take Harry home, to love him and comfort him, and when his breathing becomes labored, we are to bring him in. We must now prepare to say goodbye. Mark and I have had a very emotional conversation about this and we both know we don't want Harry to suffer any pain, so as hard as this will be, we will gently ease him into Heaven. I talked to Harry and he has promised me he will wait by the gate for Mark and I and he will be with us forever. Please pray for our little family. We love you all!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harry is also a very happy little dog. Err... I mean a happy BIG dog. He's had seven years of a very good life that he wouldn't have had without both of you, and he knows it.

The reason we cry when we lose someone is because we know we were so fortunate to have them for as long as we did, and we want that good fortune to continue.

Remember those good seven years you gave him. He's a very lucky dog.

JC said...

Hey Mark & Rebecca, Sorry, its been a while since I posted. I've been off ill myself but I'm o.k. now. We dealt with the left overs of Fay Monday and Tuesday. A tornado hit 1/2 mile from my house so I listened to chain saws for two days.

I will keep all of you and Harry too in my prayers. Grace and blessings to you.

Hopefulsl said...

Ahhh how sad this is. I started to get tears while reading this. Sounds like he has had a very loving home with you guys. And i know you guys will miss him very much. When the time comes may God be with your family at this sad time of need!!!
Hugs & Blessings sent your way>>>>>>
Love,Stacy

Carol said...

Oh. Harry is beautiful!

Am I teary because I love dogs and I empathize with you? Or because love like this is so beautiful? Or both?

I hope that when my time comes, I am surrounded by people who love me in the same way that Harry has you.

I guess a part of your heart will go with Harry and you can re-unite with it and him on "the other side".

Holding you in my thoughts...

Craig Windt said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Harry's tumor. He's such a wonderful dog. I'm so sad.

Travis Cody said...

I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca and Mark...so sorry about Harry...I remember all those times he got "lost" and the worry you had. Harry is so lucky to have chosen you to rescue him. I believe him when he says he'll be at the gate to welcome you all in. My prayers are with you all.