Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesday

Morning all. My Mom, Rebecca and I are in the middle of a fight. Over what you may ask! Meds? Doctors? Chemo? No. My body!!!!
My Mother was the inspiration for the mother in "Everyone Loves Raymond". They did play it down. My Mom, lord love her, is a Black Hole. She can suck all the life force out of a room. Her look can break glass. A typically crazy New York City Jewish Woman. In my opinion, the greatest invention in 10 years is Caller ID.
She wants me buried. I wish to be cremated. So, we had to get a special Video/CD made with a Lawyer. My wife will take care of me. She is my life and whatever is easy and most covenant for her, is what I will do.
It is the pain and pressure that makes it hard for me to stay positive. Mom calls, I get sick. I have some decisions to make and there not going to be pretty.
Any helping ideas would be a blessing.
Peace and Love to all
Mark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sup Mark and Rebecca~

sorry you are dealing with family drama and conflict. seems to be part of the whole cancer package. Mark, you stay strong and do what you want to do. Avoid the conflict with your mother ... she is not evil... she just has an opposing opinion which is upsetting you. your story has touched me and i am soo very sorry to read of your suffering. i am glad you have shared information with us...it helps.

you are not alone with family drama and conflict and cancer...i liked the idea about your favorite beach.

God Bless you,
alison

Carol said...

Yeah, I always said that my mom is not invited to my death. Talk about making an intimate moment into a REAL drag! ;-)

I'm sorry that this is so hard for all of you. Besides all that you and Rebecca are going through, I'm sure it's not easy for a mother to think about having her son die before her, either. The lack of control sometimes makes us grasp at controlling even more.

I'm sure that you know in your heart what is best.

Sending peace and love to you and the situation.

Anonymous said...

Mark,

The only advice I can give is that you should follow your heart. If you believe one thing and your mother believes something else, stick with what you believe.

It's not going to be easy on your mother. But none of this will be easy on her. When she tries to push you in the wrong direction, change the subject. If that doesn't work, hang up. Protect yourself.

For some people that would be enough to make them realize that they stepped over the line. For your mom, maybe not, but at least you will have set that boundary and not let her cross it.

If things get really bad you can probably have a hospice nurse or chaplain talk to her. They might be able to help.

It's too bad things have to be that way.

Travis Cody said...

I can't even imagine how difficult it is to contemplate these decisions, much less make them. But I'm sure you'll feel better when you have made the decision that is best for you, and put that decision into a legal written form.

Hang in there and don't let conflict take your joy in each moment you have.