Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday Evening

Where to begin - today was a scary, emotional rollercoaster. When I went in to check on Mark this morning, he told me that "he couldn't feel his face." He said he had lost all sensation around his left eye and his nose. I asked him to let me stay home with him, but he insisted he'd be ok until I got home. Around 10:30, he called me, crying, that the pain was excruciating and that he felt like his face was melting. I jumped in the car, racing home on the cell phone to Hospice. By the time I got home, the nurse and the social worker pulled in behind me. Mark was incoherent and kept asking if he was floating. He said he felt like he could fly. I was scared out of my mind. The pain was so intense that all he could do was cry and keep saying, "they promised me I wouldn't suffer." My heart was breaking. They called the ambulance and took him to the Hospice facility. He also was showing signs again of seizure activity. Once there, they gave him a hypo of valium to stop the seizure and immediately put him on a morphine pump. By the time the doctor made rounds this evening, Mark was sitting up, drank about a half-cup of tomato soup and was able to walk around on his own. The doctor was very frank with us. This could be a two-fold problem. They may find that his liver is no longer processing the morphine. If that's the case, they will wean him off and start him on some other pain medication. This could also be the tumor, advancing into a nerve center and setting off the seizures and the intense pain. They will have to assess how best to control the pain and we will go from there. They told us to expect him to be there about a week. He's taking it all fairly well. This morning was heart-wrenching and incredibly frightening for both of us. He felt that he slipped over his imaginary cliff. But, he still had his parachute. I am printing out all of the wonderful blog visits. His spirits will be lifted. Thank all of you so very much. You can not know how much it means to us both. I will keep you up-dated as I learn things, and hopefully, in about a week, Mark will write here for you. Peace and love to all of you!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am new to your blog . . . and I am speechless.

I will say a prayer for you and Mark.

j said...

Oh Rebecca. Tears for you and Mark on this update. Tears because of his tears.

"You have taken account of my wanderings; Put my tears in Your bottle. Are they not in Your book?" Psalm 56:8

God has taken note... and it is not all for nothing.

I am so thankful that he was doing better this evening. Honey, I wish, I dearly wish that I could give you a real hug. Or sit quietly with you. Whatever you need.

I am praying for you and Mark and I will be awaiting an update tomorrow as you are able to post.

Love you and NEVER GIVE UP.

Unknown said...

:( Im so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you both. You are in my thoughts now as you always will be.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca...I wish I weren't so far away. We have been through so much and I would be there every step of the way if I could! I am sending you and Mark my prayers, love and hugs! Will watch for your posts and pray for Mark to be comfortable and home soon...Love, Marynell

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, please call if there's anything I can do.

Right now, though, at least Mark is with people who have the technology to help him. I know it's going to be almost impossible, but the best thing you can do for him is to take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca, Please call me anytime. I'm planning to visit Mark tomorrow around noon. Give him my love and call if he would like a visit sooner. My love to you as well.

Lori

Carol said...

Holding you both in my thoughts and my heart.

I am so glad that you have the wonderful support of Hospice, community, and Love.

Thank you for letting us know what's going on, Rebecca.

xoxo

Travis Cody said...

That does sound scary. Both of you hang in there.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

May God be your refuge.