Saturday, November 8, 2008

Saturday Morning

All the while my children were growing up, I used to tell them "everything happens for a reason" when they didn't like the turn of events or questioned a decision I was making. It was a convenient answer. Later on, when sad events happened in our lives, I used that axiom over and over to explain why things that made no sense occurred. As my life has progressed, I have found that off-hand statement to more and more true. I think God's hand is in every move we make, and we just don't give appropriate creedance to that. Thursday at work, I was fine until noon (Nancy, your phone call came around noon . . .ummmm lol), and then progressively I felt really really funky. By 5:00, I was miserable. So, when I was up most of the night sick, Mark said he would call in for me and that I needed to stay home. There was a reason for that. About 2:00 yesterday afternoon, I was laying on the couch, finishing a book and resting. Mark went through the living room to come in to the computer. I heard a mighty crash. I jumped up. Before I could make it in here, I heard another crash. He had fallen - first into the computer desk and then on to the floor, hitting his head on the door jam for the closet. Thankfully, no serious injury. His left knee is swollen and very painful and he has a bump on the left side of his head. But, this was a wake-up call. He says that all of a sudden, he just felt himself falling. I think his balance is getting much worse and his eyesight is probably a little dimmer than he really admits to me. Whatever the cause, he has now got decisions to make about supporting himself as he moves through the house. We have both a cane and walker here, and he will be using one of them from now on. I am thankful I was home. Had I been at work, he might have lain on the floor until I came home. He is so weak, I doubt he would have been able to get up. So, believe me when I say, everything does happen for a reason. I was sick - so I was home when he needed me. He's resting comfortably now. He's probably going to stay in bed most of the day. I do have to go out for some groceries but he promises to use something if he gets up and around. Keep the prayers coming - Somebody up there is listening! We love you! NEVER GIVE UP!

4 comments:

Travis Cody said...

Yikes! I'm glad he wasn't hurt too badly.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

dear mark and rebecca.so sorry to hear your both under the weather hope things get better for the two of you.i keep praying for you both that thingg get better.i know god will prevail.keep you faith .god works in strange ways at time.

your friend bev

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,

Ok, maybe it IS my fault!

;^)

Hey, it would be nice to know I was good for something. Even if it was just for getting you sick when you needed to be at home.

Having balance problems myself, I know that what hurts Mark the worst after that fall is not his head or his knee. And I know how it feels to use a cane. I hope Mark understands that the relief it brings you is even greater than the frustration and other feelings that he has right now.

Carol said...

I'm glad that you were there, Rebecca.

Hugs to you both.